[Lazarus] Contribute to a book instead of wiki?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 09:05:10 CET 2012

On 3 March 2012 22:37, Michael Van Canneyt  wrote:

> I type text, and latex makes a layout that is 99% perfect; I really don't
> care about the last 1%.
> I've never been able to achieve the same speed with any wordprocessor.

Make no mistake, latex makes beautiful documents (so can OpenOffice),
but it is not the  layout I have an issue with. My issue with latex is
simply to display certain characters. I often have to escape common
English characters, so that latex interprets them correctly. This is
what slows me down, and what obfuscates the text I am writing - and
most importantly, breaks my flow of information. I'm sure with years
of latex experience, like you have, those escaped characters and
obscure text you need to type to insert a table etc will come
naturally.

But the generalization that to create beautiful and complex documents,
is only possible when using latex, is just not true. OpenOffice is
perfectly capable, with a much lower learning curve. And if somebody
doesn't use styles in a OpenOffice document, they are at fault, not
the OpenOffice product.

  - Graeme -