[Lazarus] Dockable IDE

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Sun Mar 18 05:05:34 CET 2012

On 18/03/2012 02:29, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> Martin schrieb:
>> On 17/03/2012 20:29, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
>>> Then fix the page restore bug.
>>> Then saving/restoring the bounds of the floating windows
>>> (anchordocking).
>>>
>> On that part, I wondered why the old layout stuff was totally abandoned.
>
> Perhaps it turned out unusable?
See other mail. it is still in use

>> Even in docking, a user might want to specify fixed positions (maybe
>> undocked) for some windows, and restore last bounds for others.
>> Could the objects for the layout not have been extended?
>
> I'd put the form bounds into a common base class, so that it can be
> initialized whenever a new form (not yet part of the layout) is
> created, by overriding the virtual base class method. Afterwards the
> layout manager can move the (new) form to the saved/restored layout
> position.

Well yes and no.
For every form layout info must be available.

I thought of creating such a base class. Bet in the end, I thought not
do do it.
 From a point of providing functionality and amount of work to do it,
there is no real difference between having such an big-almighty class,
or splitting functionality in individual classes (though I prefer the 2nd)

NOTE:
- I am not saying the current structure is the right solution.
- I am saying, that the right solution can be done with layout providers
too (maybe even better)

Every window class must be registered to the IDE (or should), so when

However, a window class may have more than one set of defaults. Source
editor can be opened many times. Each has its own default.
So SourceEditor should be registered with a LayoutInfoProviderCreator,
that can be asked for the LayoutInfoProvider for each instance of source
editor....

>> It also adds additional (still to be done) work, for restoring column
>> width info (currently used by debug windows).
>
> I'd use a general column layout (object), for every list control, that
> eventually can be configured by the user (which columns should stay
> fixed, which should be subject to dynamic resizing. Then only the
> general layout information (model to use...) has to be saved and
> restored, while every list will auto-adjust its columns on every form
> change. A good design should not require that the user re-adjusts the
> invidual column widths with every change of the containing form bounds.

Every window currently registers columns with a callback, that can
provide the info.

More info can be added as needed