[Lazarus] Why does a project have to be open?

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 18:24:14 CET 2012

When you do a New Project, it is "virtual" until it is saved. It means the
project structure is initially only in memory.
The GUI could as well hide the project interface and let the user open
files and whatever. They would still be saved in a default project's
session info but the user would not notice it until he saves the project or
opens another one.

I think "New Project" should then be removed completely from the GUI. All
actions would go to a default new project anyway if no saved project is
selected.

The benefit of this approach would be that no memory structures need
changes.

Still, this is not a big problem. It only bothers new users while they
learn the IDE. It does not slow down the actual programming or any other
activity you do in Lazarus. It surely should not delay 1.0.
If someone wants to make a patch for the GUI changes I suggested, I promise
to help with it. Then it could make its way to 1.0 release.

Juha