[Lazarus] RE : Lazarus crashing reproducibly on startup (64-bitLinux)

brian brian at meadows.pair.com
Tue Mar 20 05:59:22 CET 2012

On 03/19/2012 01:34 PM, Ludo Brands wrote:
>> XFCE. This is
>> in the repo

>> screen and

>> following

>> could find
>> more try with
>> 0.9.28 used to
>> version, not the

>>> Starting at a shell prompt, if you load Lazarus in gdb, run
>> it, wait
>>> for the crash and then use GDB's bt command to get a
>> backtrace, do the
>>> first few lines say anything useful?
>>>

>> Probably not, but this is what was produced using V0.9.28
>>
>> <paste>
>>
>> run
>> Starting program: /usr/bin/startlazarus
>> [Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]

>> 0x00000000005a2879 in ?? ()
>> (gdb) bt
>> #0  0x00000000005a2879 in ?? ()
>> #1  0x00007fffffffe1c0 in ?? ()
>> #2  0x00007ffff7de902c in ?? () from
>> /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 #3  0x0000000000502b31 in ?? ()
>> #4  0x00007ffff577dead in __libc_start_main () from
>> /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
>> #5  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
>> (gdb)
>>

>> </paste>
>>

> There was a problem with ubuntu 12 and gtk (glib2-2.31). A patch was created
> and committed http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=21129 . If mint 12 is
> derived from ubuntu 12 you'll probably running into this problem. Try
> lazarus from svn.

This is the Debian-based version of Mint. Standard Mint is
Ubuntu-based but the Debian version is for those who prefer a rolling
distribution. AFAIK, the current build is based on Debian Wheezy.

I've tried downloading the svn version, and there's some problem with
libgdb.a, I can't even get FPC to build, let alone Lazarus. There are
YARDS of undefined globals. I finally got an answer from someone on
the FPC list (after just being told "fix your GDB") and I'm trying to
work my way through that at the moment.

Brian.