[Lazarus] RE : Lazarus crashing reproducibly on startup (64-bitLinux)

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Tue Mar 20 09:59:41 CET 2012

brian wrote:

>> I fairly regularly build both FPC trunk and the current release on
>> multiple platforms (but markedly /not/ on x86-64) and in many cases
>> drop libgdb from FPC since it's only required for the fp IDE. Looking
>> at your list of undefineds, I think the right question would have been
>> "how can I build a vanilla libgdb that doesn't require a whole lot of
>> Python libraries etc."- and I'm afraid that's one for the gdb
>> developers rather than us.
>>

> So you're telling me that *any* program which I need to build myself and
> which pulls in libgdb is going to have all those undefineds? That does
> sound to be a bit of a shortcoming if so! I did try installing a bunch
> of Python libraries as well, but didn't get anywhere.

I'm not going back to the October stuff right now, this could well be a
distro issue particularly if it's got a libgdb package but not the
underlying Python libraries. I'm afraid I've never been into Python: my
style's more Horne :-)

> Anyway, I shall keep bashing away at trying to get the svn versions to
> build and install, and see whether they cure the latest problem. It will
> take me a little while to get it done, but I'll report back if I manage
> to fix it - I'm not too keen on the alternative, which is trying to
> resurrect my Fortran from umpty-mumble years ago.

I'd suggest getting a working FPC 2.6.0, either as a binary (from the
FPC servers) or building it yourself although this might require that
you start with 2.4.4. In the latter case use something like

$ make NOGDB=1 OPT='-gl' all

followed by a  make install  , after which you'll probably want to make
sure that you've got /usr/local/bin/ppc386 ->
/usr/local/lib/fpc/2.6.0/ppc386 or similar (make install doesn't mess
with that symlink: I'm not sure that's a wise omission but it's the way
it is).

The NOGDB will make sure that there is no reference to libgdb, but as I
said earlier it is only required by the fp text-mode IDE.

Having to that point, get a recent Lazarus. Now I'm sure you've got your
own preferences, but the one that I've built most recently was the fixes
RC from SVN

svn co
http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/branches/branches/release_0_9_30_4
./lazarus-fixed

If you decide that you really do need libgdb, which you DO NOT if your
interest is Lazarus, then I suggest finding or building a copy around
v6.7.1 and then using  make GDB_V607=1 OPT='...  since this definitely
works on Debian (Etch/Lenny/Squeeze) x86 and others. HTH.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk