[Lazarus] New LCL-CustomDrawn mailling list

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 21 21:36:53 CET 2012

On 21.03.2012 18:19, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
> Then MS
> killed WinCE which ment that I wasted years developing LCL-WinCE and
> saw it killed without a blink

While I agree with you about the suprising end of Windows Mobile I don't
think that your time was that much wasted. Without your support for
WinCE I would not have been able to write our company application using
Lazarus and also this way Lazarus can pose as one of the few RAD IDEs
for Windows Mobile (or is it the only one even?). It might not mean much
for many people (or even developers), but for me it's important to show
what Lazarus (together with FPC) is capable of.

> and this led me to reactivate my old
> idea, which always was the LCL running in a pure Pascal customdrawn
> toolkit which can support all major desktop and smartphone platforms.
> So I restarted from zero with the knowledge I acquired in the mean
> time and I steadly advanced. First building the TCD controls, then the
> entire regions system for capturing events and clipping the drawing,
> then wrote a non-native Canvas, then the Android backend, etc, etc,
> and I finally achieved what I always wanted since 2006 at least:

I still plan to test the CustomDrawn widgetset with the components we
use in our business application to estimate whether a port to Android
would be worthwile (and I'm looking forward to test it ;) ). The only
thing I miss currently (please correct me here if that changed already)
are main menus (I don't know regarding other components).

Regards,
Sven