[Lazarus] Size of binaries etc.

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 10:26:46 CET 2012

On 21 March 2012 12:42, Mark Morgan Lloyd <markMLl.lazarus at ....> wrote:
> A program built using (some version of) Delphi comes to about 317Kb, but
> even with a manual strip the best I can do with Lazarus/FPC is pushing 3Mb.
> Now for domestic consumption I can live with that, but I don't think it
> looks very good if I publish binaries for download, and by the time I've got
> to several different OSes, CPUs and widget sets it's taking a significant
> amount of storage.

LCL is a heavy-weight toolkit (memory and size). If size is a serious
issue, move over to a more "light weight" (here I mean size, not
features) toolkit where you can still get > 1MB executables. This is a
big plus point for older WinCE devices where you only have 64-128MB
user storage. fpGUI toolkit seems popular on the WinCE platform for
exactly this reason [gauging this from user feedback I have received].

  - Graeme -