[Lazarus] New LCL-CustomDrawn mailling list

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Mar 22 11:44:19 CET 2012

Sven Barth wrote:
> Am 22.03.2012 08:54, schrieb Marco van de Voort:
>> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 09:36:53PM +0100, Sven Barth wrote:
>>> While I agree with you about the suprising end of Windows Mobile I don't
>>> think that your time was that much wasted. Without your support for
>>> WinCE I would not have been able to write our company application using
>>> Lazarus and also this way Lazarus can pose as one of the few RAD IDEs
>>> for Windows Mobile (or is it the only one even?). It might not mean much
>>> for many people (or even developers), but for me it's important to show
>>> what Lazarus (together with FPC) is capable of.
>>
>> I'd like to note that with a former employee, e  did bid for porting the
>> client part of a Delphi app to wince (but didn't get the bid in the end).
>>
>> As for the rest: chose your platforms carefully can be a different
>> solution,
>> which is why I avoid android till it comes in more stable waters (if
>> ever)
>
> I don't think that there is much choice for us regarding the target
> platform. You need to know that I'm talking about industrial devices
> here. Devices that are a bit more "tough" than usual smart phones and
> contain things like barcode scanners. Currently most vendors use Windows
> Mobile here (most prominent is Motorola Solutions with their Symbol
> series), but with the decline of that operating system the next best one
> for such devices is Android. This is also one of the reasons why we
> can't do a web interface for this: We need to access the (propritary)
> scanner hardware. Another reason is that some of our customers don't
> want a Wifi, etc. connection in their factories, etc. so a web
> service/page isn't an option then.

Unfortunately, most hardware designers don't have a clue when it comes
to designing in an industrial level of robustness- we've seen forklifts
put through wall-mounted boxes and shovels used to operate membrane
keyboards. The result is that very often the only kit that's tough
enough to do the job doesn't have enough of a UI for modern development
tools.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk