[Lazarus] New LCL-CustomDrawn mailling list

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 22 11:51:54 CET 2012

Am 22.03.2012 11:44, schrieb Mark Morgan Lloyd:
> Sven Barth wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd like to note that with a former employee, e did bid for porting the
>>> client part of a Delphi app to wince (but didn't get the bid in the
>>> end).
>>>
>>> As for the rest: chose your platforms carefully can be a different
>>> solution,
>>> which is why I avoid android till it comes in more stable waters (if
>>> ever)
>>
>> I don't think that there is much choice for us regarding the target
>> platform. You need to know that I'm talking about industrial devices
>> here. Devices that are a bit more "tough" than usual smart phones and
>> contain things like barcode scanners. Currently most vendors use
>> Windows Mobile here (most prominent is Motorola Solutions with their
>> Symbol series), but with the decline of that operating system the next
>> best one for such devices is Android. This is also one of the reasons
>> why we can't do a web interface for this: We need to access the
>> (propritary) scanner hardware. Another reason is that some of our
>> customers don't want a Wifi, etc. connection in their factories, etc.
>> so a web service/page isn't an option then.
>
> Unfortunately, most hardware designers don't have a clue when it comes
> to designing in an industrial level of robustness- we've seen forklifts
> put through wall-mounted boxes and shovels used to operate membrane
> keyboards. The result is that very often the only kit that's tough
> enough to do the job doesn't have enough of a UI for modern development
> tools.

Our company itself is not buying the hardware. We are only supporting
certain kinds of devices (currently only Windows Mobile 5.0 to 6.5.3
ones from Symbol (now Motorola Solutions)) and provide the software to
our customers if they need it.

We also have a true robust device as well though, but that is only - as
you also mentioned - an embedded device with a custom programming
environment and rather restricted interaction capabilities (compared to
the Windows Mobile devices).

Regards,
Sven