[Lazarus] ETL tool - make or use?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sat Mar 24 17:51:34 CET 2012

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 07:25:25PM +0100, Marc Santhoff wrote:
> database and the like. I have the strong feeling that someone has
> already done something like that. ;)
>
> Options to solve this request are
>
> 1. whipping together minimal code that does it
>
> 2. make a more generic tool that can be used for all tasks, having to be
> extended when needed
>
> 3. use some tool already existing

1 and 2.  Mostly (1) but to with generic internal format for which we had some tools
and libraries of routines and help tables (e.g. zipcode to address/town
mappings etc, encoding helpers).

Internal format was domainspecific though, not truely general purpose.

The problem with (3) is that it takes really long to dig into such
frameworks, and from what I've seen is that they are only worthwhile if
datatransformation is your dialy bread.