[Lazarus] ETL tool - make or use?

Marc Santhoff M.Santhoff at web.de
Mon Mar 26 15:19:17 CEST 2012

Am Samstag, den 24.03.2012, 09:21 +0100 schrieb Andreas Schneider:
> On Friday, March 23, 2012 20:05 Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>
> > Always option 1.
>
> > Because it always turns out you need to check for doubles and do updates;
> > making self written code the most optimal tool. You always know your own
> > data best of all.
>
> > Michael.
>
> I  can  only  confirm this. The division I work for develops their own
> data  migration _framework_ which is then specialized for the specific
> migration  project.  This  is done via customization (XML configs) and
> Java code.
>
> Since  each of the previous (and current) migrations required a lot of
> data  validation, cleanup as well as changes to the data structures, a
> run-of-the-mill  tool  would  have  probably caused a lot more trouble
> than it would have solved.

Sounds like they are re-inventing OpenAdaptor. Have a look at it, it
makes configuring ETL tasks easy and can do the T(ransform) part of ETL
by filtering using specialized processors or Javascript. If Java plus
Swing is what they use - this is one really good way to go. That thingy
can handle text file, relational databases, e-mails and services - I
really do like it. As long as it works. ;)

--
Marc Santhoff <M.Santhoff at web.de>