[Lazarus] FPC & Lazarus installation including cross compiling from source

patspiper patspiper at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 18:48:20 CEST 2012

On 27/03/12 18:44, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

> patspiper <patspiper at gmail.com> hat am 27. März 2012 um 17:17
> geschrieben:
>
> > This is related to bug 0021580: Feature request: Robust IDE
> cross-compiling.
> >
> > With Lazarus 1.0 being closer than ever, and with the availability of
> > different Linux scripts to compile FPC from source (including cross
> > compilation), maybe the time has come to have an automated installer
> > that does all that, including the compilation of the cross binutils.
>
> That is one approach.
>
> Another is to use VMs.
>
> VMs are nowadays very easy to setup and they run almost as fast
> (sometimes even faster) as the host system.
>
> Installing/Upgrading all the required libs in a VM is much simpler
> than setting up these libs cross compiled.

Not necessarily (assuming you have the right dependencies already
installed). I use 3 scripts that rely on sources (exported from SVN or a
released FPC,  plus a tar for binutils). Although not perfect, these
scripts:

- Make and install FPC for the host platform (given an FPC version
number), based on a starting compiler or an installed FPC
- Make and install the cross binutils for the desired target platform
- Make and install cross FPC for the desired target platform

Finally, the Lazarus launcher script exports the required paths (given
the FPC version number) and executes startlazarus.

As for Lazarus itself, my default build modes allow me to switch target
platforms with minimal effort (using the build modes tool button)

The above makes it possible to use FPC SVN and stable releases very
efficiently for normal as well as cross compiling.

> Maybe someone wants to setup VM image for public download for his
> favorite distribution with preinstalled Lazarus and other common
> development tools.
>
> Lazarus projects and packages are made for cross platforms. So you can
> simply copy them or use VCS.
>

> > The complement for Lazarus would be the ability to import/export the
> > default project options with build modes.
>
> The default project options (compiler options with build modes) are
> stored in ~/.lazarus/projectoptions.xml

Oh..I meant the default project build modes only...my bad!

Stephano