[Lazarus] FCL-web and bandwidth usage

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 19:30:47 CEST 2012

Jürgen Hestermann wrote:
> michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be schrieb:
>  > Javascript is not something you can avoid. People have come to expect a
>  > certain functionality from a website, which can only be delivered with
>  > Javasvript. If you don't provide it, your product will not sell. It's
> as simple as that.
>
> I doubt that. Just the opposite: A web page which uses scripting will
> not be displayed when NoScript is on. So you don't reach all possible
> customers. In the past I often prefered web shops that worked without
> scripting to others that required it. And these shops prooved that
> scripting is not needed to provide the essential things in the web:
> Information. Those who just want to view TV should do so. And those who
> want to play games should do so too. I just want information in a clear
> and fast way. If someone wants to sell me something just inform me about
> the product but don't play unmeaningless videos or such garbage.

I agree with the sentiment and the first browser I use has Javascript
disabled. But when I last saw this argument elsewhere somebody tried to
make the point that scripting was evil by saying that NoScript had
something like 3 million users, which was trumped by the argument that
that leaves several hundred million browsers without it.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk