[Lazarus] FCL-web and bandwidth usage

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 22:25:08 CEST 2012

On 27 March 2012 21:54, Michael Van Canneyt <michael at ....> wrote:
> 1. We use client/server technology.
>   Meaning that sometimes, the server says 'update NOW', whether client is
> ready for it or not.

That's when you slip them the "silent update" version, which updates
before the app launches (no need to notify or ask the end-user).
They'll just think their computer was slightly slow that one time.
Yes, I think that is morally wrong, but in corporate environments you
can get away with that, simply by calling it "IT Policy".  ;-)

> 2. Users work in a protected environment, meaning that they have no rights
> on the machines.

Again (and as you stated), in corporate environment you can overcome
this with the same "IT Policy" or "System Requirements" phrase.
Running from, and updating to the users $HOME folder should be a place
with read/write access (many applications require temp or config
files) - unless the sysadmin is seriously paranoid.

But over all, I understand what you are saying...

> Wait till they ask for integration with Google docs and Microsoft Live. (or
> office 365).

Yeah, my boss was all for Google docs too, until we had an ISP outage!
Oops. Suddenly the whole "cloud computing" thing became a "do not go
there" sign. Not to mention that you entrust your private data with
somebody you don't know, and have no idea how good or bad there
security setups are, or knowing that they can freely scan and search
your private data without tell you.  I'll not entrust my personal or
confidential company data in any cloud any time soon - make that
never!

> Suffice it to say that when the need is there for web technology, fcl-web by
> itself does not impose huge demands on your internet connection.

Agreed. Just for the record, I did not imply that using fcl-web is a
bandwidth hog. I just thought the research was interesting for those
developers that write web apps. jQuery is so often used in such cases,
but is the biggest bandwidth hog of them all. Having this knowledge
means you can try and take steps to improve your web app download and
response times (cut some jQuery fat, use compression and so forth)

  - Graeme -