[Lazarus] FCL-web and bandwidth usage

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 22:55:41 CEST 2012

On 27 March 2012 22:36, ABorka <fpc-devel at aborka.com> wrote:

> Javascript will not go away, it will become more popular over time.

The same was said for DHTML, then Java, then Flash, then Silverlight
(God knows who uses that)..... now it's JavaScript's time to shine....
until the next big things arrives. This is just a sad fact of
internet/software evolution - the only constant is change.

> It saves huge bandwidth (not to mention responsiveness and client side
> speed)to use javascript apps client side with modern browsers.

About that responsiveness... not all Javascript enabled websites or
web apps are created equally. I have seem rather simple websites that
bring my Quad Core to a crawl when I scroll the web page (with huge
lag). Then I have also seen other way more complex web pages scroll
very fast. Go figure. :)

Personally I still think Java applets (or Java apps launched via the
web) are way better than web apps. They can be cached locally for
quick launches in the future, way more responsive, full featured with
the whole Java API at there disposal and the identical code can be
used for desktop application versions too. But that's just my 2c on
the subject. ;-)

  - Graeme -