[Lazarus] FPC & Lazarus installation including cross compiling from source

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 29 15:16:37 CEST 2012

Am 29.03.2012 14:37, schrieb Hans-Peter Diettrich:
> Kjow schrieb:
>> 2012/3/29 Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com>:
>>> Obviously it is also vital to install the VirtualBox Guest Additions
>>> to improve guest OS performance. This makes a huge difference too.
>>
>> 3D video drivers are very bad on virtual OS, so is not possible to
>> develop for 3D graphics on VirtualBox, VMWare, etc.
>
> Right, but why should somebody want to *develop* such applications for a
> different platform, instead for the platform of his physical machine?
> Herefore, and for other time-critical applications, a dual boot of the
> target OS is the better choice.

What if you need to develop for an OS that your platform does not
support? E.g. (though not exactly fitting in context) developing an
application for an older Windows version which does not boot on your
super modern computer. Or developing for e.g. Mac OS X without having a
Mac (Note: let's not talk about eventual problems regarding legalitiy
here). Or writing a graphical application for an embedded device.
Also - in my opinion - dual booting breaks the workflow. I want to
mainly work on one machine and maybe have others running in other
windows (be it a VM or a RDP or VNC session).

VMs are also important not for time critical stuff, but for low level
stuff. E.g. I would not have wanted to develop the Native NT port of FPC
without having a Windows OS (in my case ReactOS) running in a VM. ^^

Regards,
Sven