[Lazarus] Lazarus crashing reproducibly on startup (64-bit Linux)

brian brian at meadows.pair.com
Fri Mar 30 23:19:28 CEST 2012

Well, I've done a bunch of testing with some virtual machines, plus a
bunch of web searches looking for other threads on this error, and it
seems to be plain that it's a multi-way incompatibility. If you are
running Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) V12 on an AMD 64-bit CPU (and
it doesn't matter whether you run a 32 or 64 bit version of the
operating system) then Lazarus will crash, reproducibly, and that
holds for any version of LAzarus between 0.9.28.2 up to a fairly
recent svn version.

If you're running on an Intel CPU, or a 32-bit AMD chip, or you're
running the Ubuntu-based version of Mint, you won't have a problem.

This is particularly puzzling since LMDE is built on Debian testing,
and Debian testing will run Lazarus without a problem. For that
reason, it seems to me that it's a problem for the LMDE folks rather
than the Lazarus developers.

Now, where did I put that Debian installation DVD?

Brian.