[Lazarus] Strange dependency of units

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sat Mar 31 20:46:10 CEST 2012

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 19:41:05 +0200
Jürgen Hestermann <juergen.hestermann at gmx.de> wrote:

> Mattias Gaertner schrieb:
>  > You made the mistake to use grids without an implementation (e.g. LCL
> interfaces).
>
> Implementation? What's this again? It's no longer enough to use a unit?
> Sorry, but it seems that there is a very steep learning curve even for
> former (Turbo..) Pascal programmers.

AFAIR Turbo Pascal was pretty simple. I really liked it.
It supported only one target platform and the OOP came with
Delphi.
Compare the compiler flags of TP and FPC. TP is a toy compared to FPC.

> I have to learn a lot just to be able to program with Lazarus. It seems
> to be for long term nerds only.
> It has become nearly as complicated as C and relatives.
>

>  > I'm not sure what you did not understand about the concept of
> "abstract method".
>
> Everything. If it leads to such results this concept seems to be not
> very good.

"Such results"?

The normal user creates a LCL application and everything is setup for
him.

You didn't use the tools, but instead set up your project manually.
And now you expect that the compiler/IDE magically scans your brain to
find out what your intention was and complete what you have started?

This is like installing Gentoo Linux and then whining about Linux is so
complicated and only for nerds.

>  > The LCL "interfaces" is just one possible implementation. Theoretically
>  > you can implement another one. At the moment the LCL unit "interfaces"
>  > is the only supported one.
>
> Shouldn't these dependencies somehow be handled by the compiler/linker?

They are handled automatically if you let the IDE help you.

> Why is the programmer bothered with it?

Because you choose to. I bet most Lazarus users have never
seen this linker error.

> There could be a default
> "implementation" that would be used in these cases. Now the programmer
> has to investigate in the concept *and* how Lazarus/FPC handles it. Not
> very convenient.

Mattias