[Lazarus] Improve message dialog

Darius Blaszyk dhkblaszyk at zeelandnet.nl
Tue May 8 22:31:03 CEST 2012

Hi,

One of my frustrations with the IDE have been when debugging record or class variables. The data is truncated to 255 characters and it's very difficult to find the appropriate variable within the structure. I have now uploaded a patch (http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=21990) that adds a treeview where each variable within the structure is shown. You can easily scroll down to find the desired variable and nothing gets truncated anymore.

As described in the report, I can imaging though that this patch will be rejected as it would be even better to merge both functionalities by using a propertygrid. However this was a quick hack for a project of mine and it works excellent. Therefore I would not see why not to add it for now.

The patch however brings up the discussion what would be the final solution for this problem. Is a propertygrid appropriate? Is there a native propertygrid for lazarus available? What do others think?

Regards, Darius