[Lazarus] Lazarus first contact

Mike Parr mikeparr at live.com
Tue May 29 21:45:44 CEST 2012

Lazarus first contact

Well, not really first contact.  I messed around with Laz a year or 2 ago.  Great system, but the web 'visibility' was poor, I thought. I am beginning to use it again, and give my impressions of a novice who has heard of Laz, and wants to use it.  Please take this in a positive way - I want to help.

So... I google  'Lazaras ide'.  I get to the www.lazarus.freepascal.org  page.  Good. But it seems to  be a forum rather than  a product.  Nevertheless, I see a download link.  I follow it.

I see:
Looking for the latest version? Download lazarus-0.9.30.4-fpc-2.6.0-win32.exe (78.8 MB)

I assume this is a Windows 32-bit version.  Not sure if it runs on Win 64(quite common now) or if there is a latest Linux version.
There are no install instructions - maybe they will appear when I run it?
There are a host of other versions below:
   GZIP...RPM...DEB...Windows 32 Bits( is this the same as the win32exe above?)
   No idea what GZIP or RPM means.  Is the GZIP for Windows, just zipped in  a different format?

   I guess that Sourceforge is restricted as regards explanatory text - but could the versions be given clearer names?  If I want to learn programming from the start, Laz could be great, but there is an initial barrier.

Anything I can do to help?

Mike