[Lazarus] Form in DLL

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Fri May 4 10:19:49 CEST 2012

Michael Schnell wrote:
> On 05/03/2012 05:12 PM, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>>
>>> I do do this with Delphi,
>> FOUL! :-)
> Only for testing, of course. I have but the old free Turbo Delphi. ;-)
>>>
>>> AFAIK there is a page on this in the Lazarus Wiki.
>> Is this what you're thinking of, or is there more that I've so far
>> overlooked?
>> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/shared_library#Sharemem_implementation_details
>>

> Yep.
>
> My colleagues who are very professional Delphi programmers, very happily
> use this with Delphi:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/fastmm/
>
> This memory manager makes many Delphi applications a lot  faster (it
> manages short, medium and big chunks separately, for "short" it
> allocates a pool of memory blocks of equal size that can be found by
> multiplying the number by a constant instead of walking a linked list).
> Moreover it allows for tracing and synchronizes DLL and main application
> memory managers.
>
> I don't know if/how it can be used with Lazarus.

Thanks, I'll bear all of this in mind. I've also seen discussion and an
example from a Metatrader forum.

I'm slowly working towards a novel collaborative dedevelopment app, and
if there's a "root" manager coordinating overall work then it seems
reasonable that he should have the ability to tweak "leaf" workers apps-
for example to add a new context-sensitive highlight. If that can be
done without everybody having to interrupt their session, possibly
losing state, so much the better.

/If/ I decide to play with this, then I've got the choice of either
waiting until I rough out the collaborative stuff, or trying it in one
of the interim apps that I'm using to test techniques. I'll either be
asking for help, or reporting stunning success :-)

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk