[Lazarus] Embarcadero vs Lazarus/FPC (Oracle vs Google)

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Tue May 8 11:14:09 CEST 2012

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be schrieb:

> Now, if he so judges, that would mean the end of the wine, samba and
> many other open or closed source projects.

Why that?

> I suspect that this would be taken to a higher court by the FSF and
> other organisations  as Redhat, Linux.org.
>
> They would all have to close shop after such a ruling.
>
> In each case, we are not US-based; a ruling by a US judge does not
> affect us.

Sic!

> At worst it would mean FPC/Lazarus cannot be used in the US.

You remember the PGP case? When the use or export of software is
restricted, other countries can claim the same for their software. The
assumption, that terrorists are too stupid to write or let write good
software for them, is stupid again.

In the last c't magazine I found an side-cut on the German
"Bundestrojaner", a spy software developed for the secret service:

"Since the AV software is booted from a clean CD, and has full control
over the machine, there is no disk space where a rootkit or other
spyware could hide itself."

Millions of taxes, spent for the development of that software, are burnt
by an simple update of already existing software (Linux and AV). <grumble>

DoDi