[Lazarus] Postgresql listen/notify

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Tue May 8 11:07:18 CEST 2012

Marco van de Voort wrote:
> On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 08:01:45AM +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>> I don't know whether it should be treated as a candidate for an
>> extension to the sql-db API, since as far as I know there's something
>> comparable (implemented very differently) on Firebird but nothing else.
>
> If it is table or row change notifications, MSSQL has it since iirc version
> 2005.

It's not, PostgreSQL would probably call those triggers. It's a general
notification mechanism which can be used between programs connected to
the same database irrespective of what they're doing with tables, see
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/sql-notify.html (I've
intentionally referenced a fairly old version there, since recent
changes have added an additional parameter etc.).

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk