[Lazarus] Embarcadero vs Lazarus/FPC (Oracle vs Google)

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 8 15:13:56 CEST 2012

On 8 May 2012 14:52, Andrew Brunner <andrew.t.brunner at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've never ran a check to see what is different in units.

I'm not referring to implementation (source code) - only the API and
functionality.

>  Delphi is Windows ONLY.

Not any more. :)  As of Delphi XE2 it officially supports Windows, Mac
OS X and iOS. There seems to be talks about Linux too.

> is new.  The fact remains that Lazarus/FPC predate Embarcadero's purchase of
> Delphi.  Therefore it was their responsibility to do execute
> DUE DILIGENCE prior to their purchase.

You assumption seems wrong. Oracle bought Sun (which included the Java
product) AFTER Android was created/released by Google. That still
didn't stop Oracle from taking Google to court. As far as I understand
it, if you bought a company, you get the company, its products (it's
intellectual property) and the history of those products - unless
explicitly specified otherwise.

> Please.  I wouldn't spend too much time waiting.  The reason Embarcadero was
> rescued from the chopping block was their owner loves the language.
>  Embarcadero is not going to make enemies.

Going by the history of many projects and companies - love has NO say
in business. It's all about the money!

> And without Lazarus. Delphi has no future.

That's wishful thinking at best.

  - Graeme -