[Lazarus] Displaying text with colour and insertion point

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Thu May 17 09:35:45 CEST 2012

Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> Mark Morgan Lloyd schrieb:
>
>>> I assume you have a fixed amount of lines and columns? If so it
>>> should be very simple to write a pos-highlighter (part of your
>>> project, does not need to be registerred in IDE), that has
>>>
>>> CharAttributes: Array[1..maxLine] of array [ 1..MaxColumn] of TAttribute
>>>
>>> Of course that is not practical if you have thousands of lines, as it
>>> would require a lot of storage....
>>
>> Since it's emulating a mechanical terminal that printed to roll paper,
>> the number of lines is indeterminate and increasing. I suppose that I
>> could limit it to (say) 1000, but if other people started using it
>> there'd be bound to be somebody complain.
>
> Have you ever seen a roll of paper, of indeterminate length? ;-)

Yes. I've also seen all sort of printer problems which can cause the
number of lines that will fit on a piece- let alone a roll- of paper by
100%.

> And a mechanical terminal with multi-color ribbon?
> [Well, I've seen a black/red ribbon many years ago...]

Yes. And more to the point, the terminal that I'm emulating
/specifically/ has a black/red ribbon which is used in a definite way-
as shown on the link I posted.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk