[Lazarus] Build-Depands: imagemagick

Bernd prof7bit at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 13:29:27 CEST 2012

2012/10/8 Mattias Gaertner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de>:

> The Makefile is critical and therefore maintained by the Laz devels.
> The debian files are maintained and understood only by the debian package
> maintainers.

Thats why I said: remove it from lazarus sources entirely.

And encourage debian maintainers to give *feedback*, file bugs if they
find that original make install does something incredibly stupid (for
example not respecting $(DESTDIR) or doing a recursive cp -r .
$(SOMEWHERE)  that will fail if the $(SOMEWHERE) is a sub directory
and similar things). Unfortunately debian maintainers have the habit
of giving no feedback at all, not even asking how things are supposed
to work and rather spend lot of time to write hundreds of lines of
completely redundant *duplicate* makefile *from scratch* instead of
just asking the original makefile authors to make it accept just one
more variable.

Ideally the debian/rules file should just call the original make
install which will then do a proper install suitable for most systems
out of the box and then do only some minor adjustments to satisfy
debian policy. They should not be forced or even encouraged to rewrite
almost the entire makefile from scratch.