[Lazarus] Please define "delphi compatibility"

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Wed Oct 10 10:23:40 CEST 2012

On 2012-10-10 07:57, Vincent Snijders wrote:

> Short counter question: What is official?

A unanimous answer - something that the majority of the "core team"
agrees on. Something that can be put on the front page of the wiki
saying "This is the goals of the Lazurus project". The Lazarus core team
does not only consist of Paul. Or did the team make a decision behind
the scenes, and Paul was the spokesperson for the team?

Then again, who is the official core team nowadays. Before you give yet
another counter question. I consider the "core team" to be everybody
with full write access to the SubVersion repository.

> Long answer without any status, official nor unofficial:
> Lazarus is open source. Who contributes, determines.

An official answer will determine how we can contribute and move the
project forward.

eg: Could we modify and improve the LCL components (in ways Delphi's VCL
doesn't compare), as long as we keep the "Delphi converter" in sync for
a seamless one-way "Delphi to Lazarus conversion"?

What frustrates the hell out of me about the Lazarus project is the
sheer lack of giving straight answers. The Lazarus project is run by a
team of developers. A team is supposed to work together towards one
goal. But THIS team seems to mostly dodge any specific answers, and
every developer for himself. Just like the help file format issue, and a
few others. I know of no other open source project that is so disorganised.

Regards,
  - Graeme -