[Lazarus] Remote application

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Oct 29 12:35:58 CET 2012

Ludo Brands wrote:
>> Using a remote Xwindows server (Are there good Xwindows
>> server for win32?) Making a web application using ExtJs
>>
>> Any hint? New ideas? Experiences?
>>
> Xming is one of the better Xservers for windows. I'm running 6.9.0.31 since
> a while on XP sp2 but from time to time it crashes which is quite annoying.
> I'm also quite disappointed in running lazarus gtk apps over an X tunnel.
> Screen updates are very very slow, even with a fast local network
> connection. A simple form takes sometimes seconds to load completely.

I've seen this with some versions of Lazarus and Mozilla, and "very
very" was a gross understatement. I believe that it was at least in part
tracked down to the widget set issuing an excessive number of input
requests over the network, it didn't appear to affect e.g. VNC which
(from the POV of an X app) is a local server.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk