[Lazarus] Problems with Win8 x64

Vincent Snijders vincent.snijders at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 15:47:00 CET 2012

2012/10/29 Andrew Brunner <atbrunner at aurawin.com>:
> On 10/29/2012 08:31 AM, Vincent Snijders wrote:
>
>> In the past some third part tools didn't work corectly with paths with
>> space. To prevent trouble, Lazarus refuses to install in Program
>> Files. (A highly irregular install is preferable over an install, that
>> results in a Lazarus that doesn't work)
>

> I think this was a really bad move.  Failing / Improving the tools would
> have been
> the better move.

Why? If it was not fixable at that time? We don't create the linker,
nor the debugger.

>> Nobody bothered to check if there are still problems.
>>
>> Vincent
>>
> Agreed.  Unless someone complains about something  the problem can go
> unaware and is not going to get resolved until attention is brought to it.

It is a known issue for me. There even is a bug report about it. Just
nobody willing to work on it. And this is  so easy to do for a user.
Simply rename the Lazarus directory and update the environment options
accordingly and see what breaks. For example debugging, external
linker, resource compiling. I think it is better now, because a lot
things have been tested when compiling projects in paths with spaces.

> The project overall is what the big pictures is about here.  First come
> Lazarus users are going to install it for windows and laugh at this.  A
> certain percent of these are stuck in their Microsoft world - they simply
> won't be able to see past this.  Life outside the Program Files folder is a
> complete mystery.  LOL.  Meaning, they will go back to their Microsoft
> development platform de'Joure and something inside them will say "See it's
> better with Microsoft commercial development tools".

It is better.

> This is in direct opposition to power users - who I guess are mainly using
> Linux.  These can get around anything.  While the real power users just
> simply use Windows as build machines, they are not necessarily going to care
> about the Lazarus "Brand".  After all, some power users are Lazarus
> contributors.

Do you care? Then test.

> The space path issues is a show stopper.  Each day Lazarus is downloaded as
> no space paths allowed translates into a stunted growth rate.  This is
> simply forcing some developers to abort the install and simply put lazarus
> on the back burner for another version increment.

Fine, that doesn't hurt me.

And still nobody bothered to test if it works in a directory with
spaces. IMHO it is a nice to have, so I won't spend time on testing,
just on disabling it

Vincent