[Lazarus] Cross-compiling -> MIPS

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Oct 29 15:59:09 CET 2012

SkyDiablo wrote:
>> Having the cross compiler and RTL, you should then be able to either
>> build a native compiler etc. or to compile trivial programs (some
>> fancy stuff won't work yet because you haven't built the full FCL).
>> The native compiler can be copied onto your mipsel system, and is
>> currently good enough to recompile itself.
>
> ok, i want to create a little peace of software with multi-thread and
> maybe use some indy (TidTCP) stuff? it this possible with this MIPS
> crosscompiler port?

I think threads etc. is premature at the moment. Get a "Hello, World!"
running as a confidence builder, and then see what else works. If you
have time and expertise see if there's anything you can help with in
fixing the compiler so that more of the tests run properly (the
fpc-devel ML is the place to discuss this).

Apologies if this is brusque- I'd got a longer response ready to send
and then we had a power failure and weren't able to get a generator
running before the UPSes shut everything down. Add that to rather a lot
of other problems...

The point is that the MIPS (specifically, mipsel) compiler has only been
approximately intact for a few weeks, and there are still a lot of test
cases failing. Since I've already seen that something wasn't working
properly during Lazarus's startup and since I think that the IDE uses
background code scanning directories etc. I think there's a whole lot of
underpinnings that need to be got right first. It would be particularly
unfair to get e.g. Indy involved until we're sure the compiler is
error-free.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk