[Lazarus] Problems with Win8 x64

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Mon Oct 29 16:44:45 CET 2012

On 29/10/2012 14:47, Vincent Snijders wrote:
> 2012/10/29 Andrew Brunner <atbrunner at aurawin.com>:
>> On 10/29/2012 08:31 AM, Vincent Snijders wrote:
>>
>>> In the past some third part tools didn't work corectly with paths with
>>> space. To prevent trouble, Lazarus refuses to install in Program
>>> Files. (A highly irregular install is preferable over an install, that
>>> results in a Lazarus that doesn't work)
>>
>> I think this was a really bad move.  Failing / Improving the tools would
>> have been
>> the better move.
> Why? If it was not fixable at that time? We don't create the linker,
> nor the debugger.

Afaik it is/was "windres" (resource compiler). It also (may) affect user
projects, and there have been users running into trouble, because they
saved there project to a folder which contained spaces.

As Vincent said this (windres) comes from another project, and we are
not in charge of it. Also afaik the makers know, but the problem is not
simple to fix (for them), as it would require changes to the
command-line reading, and any way of doing it might break other
projects. Something like that.

Alse there is a bug in XP itself, that in special cases will prevent
launching an app in folders with spaces (this is unrelated to lazarus or
tools used by lazarus / this appears to be XP itself). In Lazarus it can
happen using the debugger (but again, according to my research it is XP,
not the debugger).
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/GDB_Debugger_Tips#Error_193_.28Error_creating_process_.2F_Exe_not_found.29