[Lazarus] Remote application

Santiago A. svaa at ciberpiula.net
Mon Oct 29 17:49:25 CET 2012

El 29/10/2012 16:55, Leonardo M. Ramé escribió:
> On 2012-10-29 15:54:45 +0100, Santiago A. wrote:
>
>> No matter which protocol I'll use, I will do through a SSH tunnel or
>> VPN. Now, even remote desktop connections are done by an SSH tunnel with
>> client private keys. The problem is not security, but performance.
>>
>> I don't know why, but standard dataware controls generate a lot of
>> traffic. Perhaps it is a problem of bad application design, but things
>> that work properly in a LAN are almost unusable in a WAN.
>>
> Santiago, I don't know which database server you use, but in the case of
> firebird, I recommend this article:
> http://asfernandes.blogspot.com.ar/2009/07/network-latency-influence-on-firebird.html
>
> Regards,

That's an interesting article, thanks. This application uses Firebird,

I suppose that dataware controls do a lot of stuff behind scenes, that
is why they are easy to use. As usual, easing things has the drawback
that does many  things that are not alway necessary but are done just in
case. Authomatic process is not always optimized... but it's fast.

For example I stopped using master-detail many times because they were
slow, they opened and closed the detail after each scroll of master.
Instead, many times I open both and skip the cursor in the detail. Other
times, I create a big join with header registers repeated in every
record instead of sending two SQLs.
Of course it requires more work than just dropping a few components on
the form/datamodule.

That is why I expected some kind of widget that sends just graphic
updates, just draws the controls on client side, but data components on
the server don't send any data to the client.

--
Saludos

Santiago
svaa at ciberpiula.net