[Lazarus] Remote application

Bernd prof7bit at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 12:28:50 CET 2012

2012/10/29 Santiago A. <svaa at ciberpiula.net>:

> Thank you very much, that is exactly what I wanted.
> What about performance and latency?

There still is a noticeable delay but it is orders of magnitude faster
than VNC or conventional X11 tunneling. It is comparable to the
performance of RDP.

You should try it and judge yourself:
http://www.nomachine.com/testdrive.php
(you can either try a complete Gnome session or a few selected
applications alone)

And then you should try to setup a server yourself to see how it
behaves in your environment.

BTW: I'm not trying to make advertisement for a nomachine here, there
exist open source implementatios for most of this stuff (the X11
compression and caching protocol is based on open source code
anyways), the server side (for Linux) is available through freenx
(free, open) and the commercial windows client from nomachine is
available at no charge, so it is possible to make all kinds of
experiments with this technology or even setup a production
environment without paying for any licenses.

You should also test whether it is possible to mount local media and
printers if this is needed for your application, I have NOT tested
this because I used it only during a limited period of 6 months last
year and only to gain remote access to some applications that did NOT
need local printers and local drives.

Also other commercial solutions have been mentioned, you should
compare all features and try to test-drive them all. I *personally*
would try to choose NX again (with freenx on the server) because
essential parts of it are based on open source protocols and libraries
and it is mainly centered around Linux on the server side but your
mileage might vary.