[Lazarus] Proprietary vs Open Source mentality

Craig Peterson craig at scootersoftware.com
Mon Sep 3 02:34:54 CEST 2012

I don't think it's an open source vs closed source mentality. It's quite possible that Uwe can't open source it; in the post you linked he even mentions that he used knowledge of the compiler internals to implement it.

Andreas Hausladen's fix packs aren't open sourced either, and I know I've seen an Embarcadero developer mention that he has a "special arrangement", implying some sort of source level access.  It's possible Uwe has something similar.  I've seen the source to one of his unreleased projects and it completely bypassed the OpenTools API and poked around in a lot of IDE internals to do what it did.

You're also overlooking the fact that his other project, Version Insight, is open source, but also has an optional closed source portion for similar low-level access.  Maybe he just doesn't want such techniques to become common knowledge so Embarcadero doesn't have to try supporting it or so he doesn't have to spend his time answering questions about it.

--
Craig Peterson
Scooter Software