[Lazarus] Proprietary vs Open Source mentality

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Mon Sep 3 12:24:11 CEST 2012

On 03/09/12 09:48, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
> I use Double Commander in Linux and Windows: it is easier to use
> cross-platform apps then changing my apps for each operating system.

I use Total Commander under Windows, Midnight Commander under Linux and
FreeBSD. I can even SSH from a Windows box to any of the *nix systems I
admin, and can still use MC. I also have lots of custom functions added
to MC's F2 user menu, launching things like Beyond Compare 3 after
tagging two items to compare, auto creating a *.desktop file for the
currently selected item, etc etc. There are some cases were console apps
just trump GUI apps in flexibility.

Though I must add, under Windows, you don't get better than Total
Commander (though Midnight Commander for Windows does exist, but I have
never tried it). There are 100's of Windows clones of Total Commander,
but the original Total Commander just beats them all.

   Graeme.

PS:
Double Commander has improved a lot in recent times, so it is a good
contender too.