[Lazarus] What is aarre?

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 11:11:26 CEST 2012

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Reinier Olislagers
<reinierolislagers at gmail.com> wrote:
> Concerning the idea: having a easily accessible package repository seems
> like a good idea indeed, especially if it <sorry, feature request as
> usual>can include links to packages maintained elsewhere (e.g. the
> synapse trunk svn) as there will be people/groups that want to maintain
> their own product totally</feature request>
>
> Well, I'll shut up now, easy to spout feature requests/criticize before
> an alpha release...

The opinions and ideas are important.
My idea also was to have links to packages maintained elsewhere.
However the stability of the repository would suffer. The linked
servers can have downtimes or can disappear. Copying a stable version
of those packages to the Lazarus repository would solve some
maintenance problems.
Yet, the repository surely needs a maintainer and co-operation with
the package authors.
Does anyone know how Perl (CPAN) and other similar systems do it. I
understand they have have copied the packages and mirror the server.
Some other repositories use links, eg. many Linux distributions.

There are many things involved. Many versions of the same package must
be supported etc.
It can grow into a very complex system which is not the goal now.

The GUI in Lazarus could allow searching and installing, but also
voting for the quality of the packages.
There are many possibilities.

Juha