[Lazarus] Version info

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Sep 17 18:06:48 CEST 2012

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 17/09/12 15:57, Alexsander Rosa wrote:
>> software, I usually add a "--version" command line option.
>> When called with "--version" the program outputs the version and
>> terminate.
>
> Same here. Under Linux, that is all you can do (as far as I know). No
> desktop environment (like KDE, Gnome, XFCE etc) has a "Version
> Information" tab in the file properties.
>
> As for libraries, Linux (and most *nix systems) have a well established
> naming convention where the version number is part of the filename. I
> find this actually better than Windows - thus you can have multiple
> versions installed at the same time.
>
> eg:
>    libfbclient-2.0.so
>    libfbclient-2.5.2.so

I sympathise with the OP though: the Lazarus IDE has facilities to
insert version information, so how can you get at that even if it means
running the program (without necessarily displaying a form etc.) to
extract it?

And for that matter, how can one merge svn information into it? :-)

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk