[Lazarus] Version info

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Tue Sep 18 11:35:04 CEST 2012

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 17/09/12 17:06, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>>
>> I sympathise with the OP though: the Lazarus IDE has facilities to
>> insert version information, so how can you get at that even if it means
>
> Yeah, those options are pretty pointless on any platform - except Windows.

Let's make absolutely certain we're "on the same page": Options for
Project: x -> Version info.

Perhaps the whole thing should be greyed out for targets where there
isn't a reliable reader? (Apologies is somebody already has organised a
reader for e.g. Linux, I've missed some messages in the thread).

>> And for that matter, how can one merge svn information into it? :-)
>
> All my apps, linux & windows, gui & console, supports a --version
> parameter.

I think that --help and --version should be universally supported where
stdout is available, particularly on unix targets where GNU is relevant.

> When I want to include repository information like SHA1 (git)
> or Revision (svn), then I use include files that set a value for a
> version constant. I do the same for the FPC version.

So do I. But is the version insertion stuff is relevant, how can that be
transferred automatically?

Wishlist: a predicate to allow a file's existence to be tested, so that
a project can only try to include it if it's actually there.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk