[Lazarus] Error: Can not load PostgreSQL Client library"libpq.dll".

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Sat Sep 29 20:37:21 CEST 2012

Reinier Olislagers wrote:
> On 29-9-2012 17:17, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>> zeljko wrote:

>>> I've also found that on some win32 machines libpq.dll cannot be
>>> loaded, and found that it's because of deps on visual c++ msvcrXXX.
>>> dll's , so I've found somewhere mingw compiled libpq.dll and it works
>>> fine.It's builded by  postgresdac guys.
>>> http://www.microolap.com/downloads/postgresdac/deploy/deploy_mingw.zip
>> Historically, I've used ODBC on Win-32 and sometimes on unix. The
>> libpq.dll the comes with the ODBC drivers looks as though it's been
>> compiled with gcc running natively, and there are minimal dependencies.
>> So it's definitely worth "shopping around", /particularly/ if the
>> alternative is to use MS runtimes in a VM on top of Linux.
>
> I may be missing something here, but what does the fact that Windows may
> be running in a VM have to do with which compiler/runtime is used?
> If anything, the Microsoft runtime is more likely to be installed on
> Windows in any case...
>
> If you're talking about running Windows Lazarus programs that use
> libpq.dll etc under Wine, that could be a different story...

I wasn't thinking of the technical side, but rather of the time that MS
leaned heavily on somebody who was about to demonstrate using FoxPro
runtimes in an early VM on Linux to implement a multiuser database (they
sent at least one lawyer to the usergroup meeting). Now I accept that
it's probably difficult for MS to start dictating the terms under which
msvcrt may be used, but I can't help but feel that it's something which
is best avoided when alternatives exist.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk