[Lazarus] [FR] LCLWidgetType not easy

patspiper patspiper at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 16:49:09 CEST 2013

On 09/04/13 11:04, Juha Manninen wrote:
> On 4/9/13, Michael Schnell <mschnell at lumino.de> wrote:
>> So I already can happily use it ? (I did not dare to try it, yet.)
> Yes. The feature is made by Mattias and has worked well already for some time.
Is the under construction interface functional? Here it only provides a
dropdown list which does nothing.

Btw, build modes can be a little bit difficult to use. In a use case
close to the OP's, compilation may be required for Win32/i386,
Linux/i386, WinCE/arm, and Linux/arm (4 build modes). If debug and
release modes are needed on top, the number of build modes goes up to 8.
These can be defined once, and set as project defaults.

However, the difficulty is in switching build modes. Using the change
build mode dropdown toolbar button (to the left of the run button) is
acceptable for a few build modes, but becomes difficult to use with a
large number of build modes. A solution could be to let the user define
a list of 'generic' build modes list (names only) and have a matrix to
define which combination (generic mode + debug/release) yields which
actual build mode (see attached mockup). The build mode selection
dropdown button would be extended to include 2 dropdowns, one for the
generic mode and the other for debug/release. A debug/release macro
would be useful for the output path.

Another nice feature to have is the ability to use LCL, FCL, and or
other installed packages debug/release ppu's (to debug Lazarus and/or
FPC code). We can have 2 folders (release and debug) for each Lazarus
package, while a macro (like FPCVER) decides which one gets used. I am
not sure where the GUI setting should be.

Stephano