[Lazarus] Sharing of large files

Andrew Brunner atbrunner at aurawin.com
Tue Apr 16 18:33:28 CEST 2013

On 04/16/2013 04:02 AM, Kostas Michalopoulos wrote:
> I didn't meant that people wouldn't go to another service, but it is
> true that Dropbox has a lot of inertia and the alternatives do not
> offer anything important to switch. Personally in all cases i know,
> they offer worse - Dropbox is available in all major desktop OSes and
> mobile platforms, has a very simple and intuitive setup and website,
> integrates with the desktop even if you use something non-mainstream
> like Linux with LXDE, has very good network usage with delta
> compression and such which is very important if you use 3G, etc... i
> simply haven't seen all these features combined in other similar services.

Well, the only thing I would suggest is to compare.  Aurawin offers
stream compression across all your devices.  And since it's a
virtualized desktop, it works on ANY HTML5 enabled device :-) Further,
Aurawin offers video streaming and conversion features that take your
camera videos and converts them to streamable Mpeg formats.

The Aurawin project is open source, so that means anyone can run their
own servers.  Think of it as an open source virtual computer with apps.
File sharing is just one included offering.

> And with the folder sharing and the last feature they added with APIs
> for developers to use they're also developing a strong "network
> effect" which will make it harder for people to switch to somewhere else.

I feel that Aurawin social networking goes far beyond what our
competition will **safely** offer.  But there is still much more work to
be done there.

> Also i'm not sure if people *always* switch to better alternatives.
> Case in point: ICQ vs MSN. When MSN was introduced, ICQ was superior.
> But MSN came with Windows :-).

I agree.  But both Microsoft and their flagship Windows product is
rapidly becoming irrelevant.