[Lazarus] What is most Lazarus Friendly Linux Distro

Flávio Etrusco flavio.etrusco at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 23:03:12 CEST 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Juha Manninen
<juha.manninen62 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/16/13, Flávio Etrusco <flavio.etrusco at gmail.com> wrote:
>> We should? I must? ;-) Sorry I didn't express myself right.
>> But I think it's very important to make Lazarus easier to try/install.
>> I tried to dip my foot on debs a few times, but going over all
>> building details and distro/platform packaging rules is indeed quite a
>> task...
>
> I think Mattias meant that we cannot update the distro repositories
> directly. Only the distro maintainers can do that.
> There are .rpm and .deb packages in Lazarus SourceForge page for
> latest versions of both Lazarus and FPC. They can be downloaded and
> installed with the distro's package tools.
>
> Juha

IIRC Lazarus's own deb packages didn't follow Debian guidelines and
that was the excuse for Lazarus being so outdated on Debian? (sorry, I
may be completely wrong, and I can't find the discussion right now)
If that's not it, what's the official explanation? Does anybody keep
in touch with the Debian (project) package maintainers?
And why is Lazarus own repository (e.g.
http://freepascal.dfmk.hu/test/lazarus/dists/) out-of-date? They gave
a much better user experience than dowloading and installing a lot of
debs, not to mention the upgrade.
All the (Linux) people I refer to Lazarus always complain about the
installation procedure...

Best regards,
Flávio