[Lazarus] documentation snapshot

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sat Apr 20 21:05:27 CEST 2013

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 02:58:27PM -0400, Anthony Walter wrote:
> The benefit of online docs ...

> Anyone can access them without installing a thing (assuming people have a
> web browser, which everyone does). This allows people to peruse/browse
> before they try, which is what most people do, read the web and google
> search stuff.

> Since online docs are online, they become easily queryable via everyone
> default search tool (google, or bing or whatever).

All true. But that is a reason to _ALSO_ have online docs.

The primary use of SDK information is to access them using context
information from within the IDE. In the matching version of course.

It's scary to admit it, but in sofar I agree with Graeme.

> Online docs can be updated/corrected/added to without sending needing to
> download updates/patches.

While true, it is rarely exercised. Docs mostly follow the software release
cycle. .... and that is not just for FPC/Lazarus.

Of course, when you get to be the size of an Apple or Microsoft, you can
have a continuous team updating it, but that is an exception, rather than
the rule.

Maybe you can make online help leading, but then it has to be a lot better
than what you posted (for reasons Graeme already said, the interface is too
poor).

But whatever route is chosen, I think a development tool (which might be
used for a long, long time) should come with documentation. Since the
disappearance of online help (or a mere move or change of hosting) would
make older versions of the tool unusable, otherwise.