[Lazarus] documentation snapshot

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sun Apr 21 13:53:58 CEST 2013

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 01:43:21PM +0200, Reinier Olislagers wrote:
> > Anyway, can we _please_ all agree that we need both online and offline docs.
> > I think the proponents of online docs better work on improving the
> > online experience, rather than declare it perfect ex ante.
>
> Only if we also agree that the Lazarus default offline docs format is
> chm (not inf)

That's not for me to agree on, but I can say that my patience won't last
forever. The same with the fact that the IDE docs are still only in wiki,
and there is no progression there either.

IMHO the IDE docs should be taken offline (or readonly), and quickly
reformed to some master format, and managed in SVN, versioned, like the rest
of the docs.

I think that needs to happen anyway, even if online is kept leading, just to
get proper versioning.

> and we also work on the improvement of offline docs; e.g.
> bugs
> 23410	No context-sensitive help for control on form
> 22880   LCL.CHM: Application.Terminate shows empty page
> 22765   Lhelp: clicking on hyperlink doesn't do anything despite hand
> cursor icon
> 22763   Lhelp: Search can't find GetPart while it is in Index
> 22754	Context-senstive help for 'result' gives 'No help found for this
> topic'

22754 is difficult. result is not a keyword, but a pseudo variable, and its
existence depends on context. So you can't simply add it to the keywords
(ref.kwd), and it is not declared in each function either.

I've no lhelp experience. I mainly did the CHM docs for the textmode IDE
(since the html-only help was an hassle), and provide the LCL one as a
courtesy.

Btw, I see I used lazarus 1.1 as a source for these docs. Should there be a
1.0.x version too? What is the branch?