[Lazarus] RAD Studio XE4 Released?

Antonio Fortuny a.fortuny at sitasoftware.lu
Thu Apr 25 09:54:35 CEST 2013

Le 25/04/2013 08:25, Hans-Peter Diettrich a écrit :

> IMO we (FPC/Lazarus) should be prepared for providing a new home for
> desparate Delphi coders, which will trash RadStudio for too little and
> too slow progress, and lack of compatibility, at a too high price.
> Failing to encourage this move will force most current Delphi coders
> to use better supported development environments, most likely C#.
Usually I do not interfere in these philosophical debates and just this
one won't hurt I believe. I'm a delphinian since TurboPascal DOS and
Delphi 1 on Windws 3.11: this a long time ago. I used almost all
versions and stopped to buy new releases with D2007. Then I discoreved
FPC and Lazaus at my actual job position. And because we develop for
Windows as well as Linux platforms I'm very happy in my job using these
pair. I'm not involved in GUI applications and that's why I do not
really care about visual components. A very important thing for me is
the reliability and the fact that FPC+Lazarus are multi-platform. But,
closer to my day to day work, the most important feature is obviously
the stability and continuity of both projects. I don't know if you can
understand how much I'm happy when I change to a new version and I can
continue my current job after a few minutes instead of hours or even
days and most important perhaps, continue using my habits which means to
become productive within minutes. Of course l take afterwards some time
to see and learn what's new. You can easily understand why I hate
Windo$, but this only my opinion.

Maybe one thing could make happier than now: is it out there any plans
to have Lazarus to manage project groups ? It is the only problem which
bothers me.

Anyway, having furthermore a team of guys (no girls ? ;-) )  like you
behind the scene lets me very comfortable to go on with my projects.
Thanks to you all.

Antonio.

> IMO it also would look like much more profitable to me, to make
> Wirth's Oberon as popular as Delphi was. At a closer look it has a GUI
> well suited for handhelds, competing with Win8 or other OS for
> portables. And as its memory is fully garbage collected, it also would
> fit neatly into any .NET environment. Again I wonder how Niklaus was
> ahead of the mainstream (hardware) development with his ideas :-)
>
> DoDi

Sita Software
*Antonio Fortuny*
Senior Software engineer