[Lazarus] RAD Studio XE4 Released?

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu Apr 25 11:30:06 CEST 2013

On 04/25/2013 08:25 AM, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> IMO we (FPC/Lazarus) should be prepared for providing a new home for
> desparate Delphi coders, ...
I think the current state in fact would offer a nice home for them, if
there would not be the Unicode mess, that only will not take them aback
when Delphi New Strings are fully supported (on all platforms) (and
hopefully cleaned from some Delphi quirks and enhanced by some obvious
features lacking in Delphi such as "RawWorsdStrings", RAWDwordString"
and "CompletelyDynamic" String type variants ).

>  Failing to encourage this move will force most current Delphi coders
> to use better supported development environments, most likely C#.

I don't think that it's viable to think about converting to C#. While it
(being created by the same person)  in fact is a nice Variant of Delphi,
I don't believe it makes more sense to Java than to C#, and make them
happy users of Eclipse ?!?!?!?! (I do use Eclipse for embedded projects
in ANSI C: It's great, but needs a steep learning curve.)

-Michael