[Lazarus] RAD Studio XE4 Released?

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Thu Apr 25 11:35:25 CEST 2013

Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:
> On 2013-04-25 07:25, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
>> Well, slow and memory hungry may be, but portability is achieved to
>> every .NET enabled platform.
>
> WinForms is not 100% portable via Mono (last I checked). I wouldn't go
> that route either because Microsoft will be on your case when it suits
> them - and probably just when your product becomes successful.

Neither Mono nor DotGNU are implementations of whatever MS understands
as .NET. The closed source .NET library prevents to use non-MS
implementations for running .NET applications. CIL without .NET is less
than FPC without Lazarus (or msegui...), a VM without a RTL :-(

>> But it isn't true that the new IDE is written in .NET,
>
> I didn't mean the whole IDE. Just parts: help system, editor, form
> designer, language tool in editor (like what CodeTools is). But that
> sure makes it about 70% of what an IDE is.
>

>> Failing to encourage this move will force most current Delphi coders to
>> use better supported development environments, most likely C#.
>
> Java seems way more lucrative to me... The Java eco-system is massive,
> and that also opens the doors to Android (which is also Java and the
> biggest mobile platform). But that's just me thinking out loud.

In the Embarcadero groups I only read VS/C# as an alternative, nobody
claims to move to Java.

DoDi