[Lazarus] Congrats on the new project options screen

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Aug 7 12:46:44 CEST 2013

Juha Manninen wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 1:05 PM, Mark Morgan Lloyd
> <markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk> wrote:
>> Would there be any mileage in having the compiler output this sort of thing
>> in XML or some similar formal markup?
>
> Yes, that would be ideal. We discussed it with Lazarus devels.
> In July 26 Mattias asked it in FPC devel list. Subject is "compiler
> switches machine readable".
> Jonas answered that it requires manual maintenance for new options and
> I understood he is not happy with the idea. I am planning to write
> there later myself.

Noting that you mentioned JSON elsewhere in the thread, I'd have hoped
that something like a -hh option which formalised the various levels of
output text (and also used untranslated English) wouldn't have been too
difficult, the current freeform output could be a derivative.

I'm no great enthusiast of "JSON (or XML) for everything", but I
occasionally have to make remote diagnostic connections to equipment
where things like line-ending/prompt consistency vary by firmware version.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk