[Lazarus] Congrats on the new project options screen [OT]

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Fri Aug 9 11:44:27 CEST 2013

Lukasz Sokol wrote:
> On 09/08/13 09:17, Frederic Da Vitoria wrote:
>> 2013/8/9 waldo kitty <wkitty42 at windstream.net
> [...]
>> after some investigation and time spent archiving, it seems that
>> thunderbird with some 40000+ messages in this lazarus folder plus
>> having firefox open were causing my system to consume too much memory
>> and thus using swap... especially when i would open lazarus to do
>> some coding or checking things out from posts in here... after
>> archiving, it seems to have cut down on the amount of memory used so
>> we'll see what happens now...
>>

>> OT, I have found that TB archives are unreliable with large volumes.
>> Not that mails disappear (at least not that I know), but quick search
>> tends to not find all the mails it should.
>>
>> -- Frederic Da Vitoria (davitof)
>
> Compact Folders option seems to also help a lot.

Something to avoid is having lots of messages in the same folder with
the same subject line. We use INN here to archive stuff we send to our
customers, and we were able to improve local client (Netscape/Mozilla
and derivatives) performance a lot by appending a unique ID to each
subject line. Having subject lines that only start the same (e.g. Re:
[Lazarus]...) is mostly harmless.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk