[Lazarus] Timing of all compiler options on slow machines [OT]

Lukasz Sokol el.es.cr at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 11:17:00 CEST 2013

On 20/08/13 20:23, waldo kitty wrote:
> On 8/20/2013 09:13, Juha Manninen wrote:
[...]
>> P.S. Computers are truely getting faster! This 233 MHz Pentium 2
>> machine is less than 20 years old (?) and was used for demanding
>> CAD work in a big company. I added memory later, it had maybe 256
>> MB then, or less. When a designer got a faster 400 MHz P2 computer,
>> people around the company came to see it because it was so
>> extremely fast. It was ok for a CAD application then, why is it
>> completely obsolete now? Computers are now 1000 times faster than
>> they were just a while ago. Why programs are still slow? Why, oh
>> why?
>
> as sven stated, programmers simply do not code for speed any more...
> they don't even code of size, either... simply throw a faster CPU and
> more memory at the application to make it go faster :/
>
> FWIW: the above is one of the major things i truly detest about so
> much of today's applications... i much prefer smaller, faster code
> which runs rings around bloated stuff on faster processors with more
> memory... if one can make their code scream on an old slow processor
> with (eg) 256M RAM, imagine how fast it will really be on a 2Ghz
> processor with 1G RAM in a straight comparison... leaving out things
> like pipelining, cache tuning and other tricks to make things run
> faster...

On the other hand, since I ditched Ubuntu*, and installed Debian
on my old-ish Dell Lattitude D600 (from back in 2006... 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM)
every apt-get update it keeps getting faster ;) I am amazed :)
(Windows required fresh reinstall after every major round (or 2) of updates, to
keep it in semi runnable state without frustrating the hell out of me,
and all I did run on it was Firefox (and antivirus) in the last days)

(*Ditched Ubuntu 'cause they insist(ed when I did that) on having kernels that
required PAE to work, and won't boot on older hardware any more...
haven't been looking back since, and now with MATE desktop 'stead of Gnome3,
 I got thatold warm fuzzy feeling of being in control, again ;) )

-L ;)